September 25, 2016

Creatures great and small - well, mostly small!

I had a day or so to spare before family arrived last week, so dutifully opened up my PASS (Projects At a Stand-Still) drawer. I'm determined to reduce its size! In it I found some small creatures - three appliqued butterflies each on a white square.


I looked at them for quite a while pondering what I could do with them. Inspiration finally hit and I thought they would work nicely into mug rugs.


I had some left-over jelly roll strips and other bits and pieces in the lovely Notting Hill range so they were put to good use. I was quite delighted with how pretty they looked. 


It is interesting how the soft colours counteract the stark black of the butterfly and its equally stark white background.


I was very happy with the unlikely combination. The pink and aqua must have inspired me and I found myself making a little felt and crochet hanging, again with a butterfly:


The other small creatures I want to show you are Mr & Mrs Mouse.


I asked my clever grandson to draw me The Mouse House and he did such a fabulous job. It is definitely one of my favourite stitcheries.


It even made the cover of Patchwork & Stitching Magazine.


The pattern is in Volume 18 No 1 and will be in my Craftsy Store later in the year.

Hubby was away at a Conference for a few days, so what is there for a girl to do but to start a new design!!! It's going to be my first ever row quilt and I'm super excited about it. I've worked out one row and I have a vague idea about the others, so it's my usual 'design on the run' style. I like to be flexible!

Next week I plan to give you the first of my six little Christmas tree ornaments, so I hope to see you back here then.

Happy stitching!
Val

7 comments:

margaret said...

the butterflies certainly work very well as mug rugs. Can see your grandson has skills with his art work loving the mouse house.

Anonymous said...

Love your use of the butterflies! And I love the crocheted piece as well. So creative. The mouse house is adorable and congratulations on being in the magazine too. Beautiful work.

Little Penpen said...

The butterflies are adorable and that mouse house....... I LOVE IT!! Your grandson inherited some of your talent!!

Nanna Chel said...

Val I hope you enjoyed the visit from your family. The mug rugs look very pretty indeed.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the butterfly mug rugs! They are so pretty, like everything you do. That grandson - same one, I presume? So talented. What a darling design, and I'll definitely be looking for it on Craftsy, so be sure to let us know when it's available. You have teased all my curiosity now, so I look forward to seeing all the designs you have upcoming. I love that you keep trying new things. And dragging me right along with you. =)

Createology said...

Oh I am so happy to find your blog once again. Without my desktop computer and borrowed hubby's laptop that terminally crashed I was lost...but now I am found. I love your finished black and white butterfly designs made into functional mug rugs. The color combinations are perfect. Falling into Autumn Bliss...

Gina E. said...

Lovely projects, every single one! Val, you always inspire me to do something with my small bits of fabric and felt, and your gorgeous butterfly mug rugs have reminded me of some spare motifs floating around at the bottom of my scraps box...what a great idea!