March 22, 2015

The 10,000 Hour Rule

Our daughter was talking to me recently about the 10,000 Hour Rule. She very kindly said that I "get it right with my designs because I have reached the 10,000 hours of practice".

You probably have heard of Outliers:The Story of Success, a non-fiction book written by Malcolm Gladwell. He considers the key to success in any field is practising a specific task for 10,000 hours, whether it be 20 hours a week for 10 years or 40 hours a week for 5 years or however long it takes you to reach the number.  This year marks 10 years since I had my first ever design accepted for publication so yes, I guess I have well and truly filled my 10,000 hours of practice. 


Thinking about this 10,000 hour idea made me realise that it is no wonder that Free Motion Quilting and I aren't best friends. I really have never had the desire or been prepared to give it the practice that it really deserves.  


Interestingly, on my recent attempt at FMQ, I DID actually improve with practice. I have now found the type of quilting that I can cope with and I now know that I could achieve a reasonable outcome if I am prepared to put in the time.


The thing that really surprised me, was that I actually really LIKE my completed quilt. If you don't look too closely, it is quite pretty and the quilting has really enhanced it in spite of all the imperfections! I get to look at it often, as we are using it as a tablecloth!


I had quite a productive week and designed, made and wrote up the pattern for a Christmas apron that I originally had no intention of making! It was one of those designs that just happened! A wall-hanging that I have been working on is now ready for binding and I have started work on another Christmas design.

I decided to put a couple more patterns in my Craftsy store. French Connection Etui is a delightful way of storing your stitching accessories:


You can find the pattern here.


The Singing Heart is a lovely stitchery that can be framed, or used for a pillow or wall-hanging or whatever takes your fancy:

 

The pattern is available here.

If you are looking to make an Easter basket for your favourite child, here's a sweet one you might like:


Pattern is available here.

I'm eager to go and finish my wall-hanging and get into my next projects, but first I have to put on my apron and preserve a case of pears. The William Bartletts are really lovely at the moment so it's worth the effort now to enjoy them throughout the rest of the year.

 Val

8 comments:

Nanna Chel said...

Enjoy your preserving, Val. You have a lot of lovely patterns for sale and I just love your new tablecloth.

Ondrea said...

A lovely post as usual. Love your FMQ. Your patterns are a delight too.

Patricia said...

Congratulations in your reaching 10,000! The quilt is beautiful. Lots in pretties in your shop.

Kate said...

Your new patterns are beautiful and I love your quilted tablecloth! The one and only string quilt that I've made is used as a tablecloth at our summer cabin. Preserved pears ... my mouth waters, lol.

Patricia said...

That is a beautiful quilt and very pretty goodies in the shop

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I have heard of that rule, but never really considered how it fit into my quilting. I think I'm a little short with longarming - only about 8500 hours. And does it say anything about taking a ten year break and forgetting everything? =) Your FMQ looks fine to me, and I really like that little sewing machine embroidery. I will have to get that soon.

Christine M said...

Your quilt is lovely, Val. The fabrics are very pretty.

MARLOTCASMEN said...

Lovely creations Val. You are very talented. I'm a beginner in quilting and enjoy doing simple designs.