January 11, 2015

Free Block of the Month Wall Quilt - Pattern 1


It's arrived - the launch of my 2015 free Block of the Month Wall quilt - 
Keys to Contentment.


I love that the Bible is so absolutely practical and down-to-earth. I have chosen nine of its sayings which are relevant to life's journey. Make them part of your daily living and you have keys to contentment! I've chosen to sew a little key charm in each block as a reminder :


The verse on Block 1 sure has some sound advice from Hebrews 13:5:
 "Be content with what you have." 

The pattern is FREE, for personal use or to make as a gift.  You may also give a copy to friends and tell them where to find me, but please do not use the pattern for profit.  

If you have a blog, I would love it if you would put my “Keys to Contentment” button on your blog sidebar, or share it on Facebook etc. so that other stitchers can be aware of this free pattern. (Right click on the button below and 'save image as' or copy.)


Keys to Contentment measures 32 inches square, but you could make it larger by adding borders. I'm using the Faded Splendor range of fabrics by Robyn Pandolph to put a border of squares around each 6 inch square block. Each design could be used as a single stitchery on a cushion, a bag, a mug rug or put two or three on a table runner - the possibilities are endless!

Each month over nine months, I will give you the pattern for another block and in the tenth month some instructions for putting it together as a wall quilt. Each new pattern will remain available for download until the end of the year.

You can download Pattern 1 in my Craftsy Store here.

Now it's confession time! I can't show you the finished quilt because, well, it isn't finished! I have done three blocks, so I've made a good start! The best I can show you is the plan:


 I actually hummed and ha'ed as to whether I would produce a free BOM pattern this year. There's quite a significant amount of time and effort needed to produce something like this and quite frankly, I wonder how many people actually make it! There are only a handful of people who ever let me see the finished product in spite of thousands of downloads.

Then I had heaps of projects I really wanted to tackle. I couldn't believe it when I sat down and listed all the designs that were in various stages of completion - 12 to be exact!!! Add to that the fact that I couldn't get any inspiration for the freebie even though I had been thinking about it on and off for months!  



But sanity prevailed and inspiration hit just before Christmas! And I love to share the Word of God in stitching, so now I am excited to offer you this free block of the month design. I hope you enjoy stitching it - and yes, I would love to see your progress!

Happy stitching
Val

29 comments:

Nanna Chel said...

Val, I am not a quilter but I have readers on my blog who are and I will add your button to my blog so they can see your lovely work. Thanks so much.

Unknown said...

Val, thanks so much for your 2015 Free block of the month!!! I love it already!!!

Maryanne

Véronique Rose said...

Merci Val, c'est superbe,
merci pour cette nouvelle très jolie free,
je l'ai mise sur face book
bien amicalement
rose

Patricia said...

Thanks for the free BOM.

Jacqueline Morris said...

Oh this is lovely.... I will add your button to my blog too... to remind me to check in for the next one to stitch! :)
Thank You :)
Smiles :)

Kate said...

Thank you, Val. These are beautiful - the first one is printed out already and hopefully I'll get at it today during the football games.

Ruththequilter said...

Val, Thank you for sharing this free BOM, I like it very much.

Candy L. - Cape Town said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful talent with us. I am so glad you decided to do the BOM this year. I have the block downloaded and ready to trace. Thank you again!

Unknown said...

Bien lindo que te ha quedado gracias POR COMPARTIR, TE INVITO A MI BLOG http://cosasdecosturadecarmele.blogspot.com.

besosss

sunny said...

It's beautiful! I might be over committed, but I'm going to try to get this done, too! I would love to have it hanging in my guest room. thanks so much for sharing!!!

Sandra said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful talent with us. I haven't had a chance yet to start any of your designs but have been saving them until my skill was enough to do them justice. I am hoping to start this newest one very soon.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing another wonderful BOM. I am guilty of downloading patterns but by the time I actually get around to stitching them, the original posts are long since over. I'm stitching as fast as my little fingers can go and I can't figure out how to post pictures! Just know that I love the talent that so many of you offer on the web for free and the generosity that comes from your love of this hobby. Thank you again. --Mary Jane

Anonymous said...

You are very generous, Val. I really appreciate this year's theme. Contentment is something we all strive for, and it's so elusive. I love the detail of the little key in each block, too.

Sharon said...

Thanks Val for this delightful pattern... I rarely down load quilt type patterns as I am not a quilt sewer no matter how much that I would like to be... I do however love these stitchy patterns as I can take them to work with me and stitch in my lunch break without much fuss... I have had a read of your planned blocks and I like them all... As we are moving in the not too distant future this will be a good one to have on the go as the bulk of my stitching stash will be packed away for a time... Take care now
Sharon

Outback Craftaholic said...

Hi Val. Thanks so much for going ahead with your 2015 BOM. It looks like it will be a wonderful project. I am still working on your 2014 BOM as I tend to start projects as gifts for other people and projects for me then go on the back burner. However, when I do eventually finish it I will post a pic for you. Cheers, Tracy.

Susie said...

It's lovely Val and gorgeous colours.

Lynn B said...

Hi Val,

I do love this, so pretty!

Pam in IL said...

Thanks for sharing this with us! I'm not a quilter but I'm thinking miniature and maybe I could make it into a pillow.

Candy L. - Cape Town said...

Val, I just finished stitching your block 1 design for the Keys to Contentment. Thank you so much! I love it.

Linda in Calif. said...

Val, it may be discouraging that people don't respond with their projects, but what you are doing is so important; spreading God's Word. And your designs are so beautiful. I still have yet to finish your blessing BOM (I think that was the name of it) however, I brought each one I was working on to work and shared with anyone that would listen. I know other homes and people have been greatly blessed by them. I love this new BOM you have. Thanks so much for doing it.

Monica said...

Hi Val,
I commented on another post that I will be joining but I wanted to share with you that I posted about this great BOM pattern on my blog and also added it as a project over at My Sewing Cirlce with a link to your blog for the pattern! I really can't wait to get started on this one! Thank you for sharing it!

Wendy said...

Thank you so much for once again giving us a wonderful BOM. This really speaks to my heart in this season of my life and I am sure that it does so for others. Being content in the world we live in today is a precious commodity and I love that you have taken time to make a great stitchery about this subject. Thank you from my heart. May you be blessed in return for being so generous.

Kat Scribner said...

Hello Val. Thanks so much for offering this project. I've recently grown re-attached to hand embroidery and it's more perfect when combined into quilts. I've finished my January block. You can see it on my blog http://scrapboxquilts.blogspot.com/2015/01/keys-to-contentment-block-1.html. I've also referenced your blog and will include that in my project page too.

Marle said...

Hi Val,
how nice is your BOM, I think I will stitch it this year. Thank you so much for share it.
Hugs
Marle

Linda Janovitz said...

You are so BLESSED with a wonderful talent ! I also LOVE the Bible. I belong to a Baptist church. I am a quilter but it's time I tried hand embroidery. Maybe there is some help online, like You Tube.

Many Blessings to You,
Linda Janovitz

Val Laird said...

So lovely to hear from you, Linda. Yes, you will find lots of tutorials on the internet. All the best with your stitching.

Hugs and blessings
Val

Unknown said...

Hi, So glad I found this. Love your embroidary and would love to make the BOM you have here. Thankyou so much for sharing it. ----Krystal(nova scotia)

Linnie said...

I clicked on "here" and was directed to Craftsy but could not find pattern. Any suggestions?

Val Laird said...

Linnie, this is last year's free pattern which is no longer available. 2016 pattern will be launched on 17 January 2016.