May 11, 2014

Family, Finishes and Focussing


It's Mothers' Day in Australia and it has been a special day in my little bit of paradise. I'm not a breakfast-in-bed person but my husband had a lovely spread on the table for me - as he always does! He's made breakfast for me for as long as I can remember - what a gem! Then we were off to church for a really lovely service for which I had the joy of playing the piano for the beautiful songs that had been chosen. 

Next it was home to prepare lunch for our son, his lovely wife and their two boys who were coming to visit.  After lunch I had a craft afternoon with our grandsons who made some great cards and fridge magnets from this free pattern at Imagine, Make, Believe. Here's a fridge magnet that they made for me:


Phone-calls and messages from another son and our two daughters capped off a lovely day. The only sad note is that I couldn't celebrate the day with my own wonderful mother. How I miss her. She was such a gifted crafter and would have been so proud of my designing career.

I had a fairly constructive week, though I never get done everything I hope to do! I was pleased to finish both my commissions on time and they were posted off to magazine editors on Friday. I was happy with how the projects turned out, so that is always a relief. 

Yesterday I cut out and stitched three more oven mitts for my charity box. The plan is to do the hand-stitching on the binding as I wait at the hospital while my husband has cataract surgery this week.  I've been told that the goods I made for the school Mothers' Day stall were popular with the children and much of what I gave for the Church Market Day also sold. That has encouraged me to do more sewing for the Cancer Council Big Morning Tea to be held in a couple of weeks. I hope to get a couple of bags and zippered pouches made this week. Meanwhile I am working on another commission which has been causing me grief because I keep changing my mind! I have an idea it's because I'm trying to focus on ten things at once. I know I need to give the project my undivided attention, so it will be "Keep calm and focus" this week.

The beautiful Embroidery & Cross Stitch Magazine Vol 21 No 10 has my Garden Nook embroidery inside:


It is the project I taught at the Creative Craft Retreat last year and I still love all its little elements. A cute bird bath:


ground-cover flowers:


Delphiniums:


A climbing rose:


and an apricot rose bush. I love the effect of variegated ribbons:

  

Keep an eye out for the next pattern in the free Block of the Month project, "Shining Like the Dawn". I plan to have that ready for you next week.

Happy stitching!
Val

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I especially like the Delphiniums. I could see using that in a crazy quilting block. What a lovely mother's day. It's the same date as here! I might have known, talented as you are, that you play the piano, too. I can pick out notes with the right hand, and that's about it.

Susie said...

so very lovely